I don’t check the house tab as often as I used to, but when I run across records like this, I wonder what other goodies I’m missing. This is the debut release by The Reboot Joy Confession on Soulphiction’s Philpot label.
Unfortunately, I can’t even tell you much about the artist (or artists?) as he prefers to remain anonymous. What I can tell you is this: on the a-side you will find a collaboration with the legendary Dwight Trible, known for his vocal contributions to the Pharoah Sanders Quartet or Build An Ark among others. Together they come up with a freeform electronic piece, a spiritual journey made of synthesizers, flutes and Dwight’s chanting, held together only by a loose hip-hop beat. The flipside comes with two more house-oriented tracks, a delight for fans of KDJ and the likes.
Spirit of the Planets is available now, I’ve spotted copies at Rush Hour and Juno Records, Boomkat also has digital formats available.
November 14, 2010 I have two copies to give-away, you can enter the competition here!
One of the most infectious tracks of the year for me, I instantly fell in love when Greymatter sent me this. You’ve heard it before on the latest podcast now it’s finally available in stores and it’s a vinyl exclusive release!
Also on the record are three tracks from different artists, all of them in housier territories. Whether you like the others or not, you just know you need to get yourself a copy. Juno will ship it on Monday.
Paris based dubstep producer F has put together a new mixtape, this time for the city’s own Exploration Music podcast.01. Dogboy – Vishnu
02. Boddika – Boddika’s House
03. Peverelist & Hyetal – The Hum
04. F – Slowdown
05. Likhan – Boxin’
06. Boddika – Syn Chron
07. Scuba – Latch (Will Saul and Mike Monday remix)
08. Addison’s Groove – Sexual
09. F – Odyssey
10. Helixir – Summer Time
11. Bloodman – Remote Viewing
12. ENA – Instinctive
13. Peverelist & Hyetal – Rrrr
14. PH2 – Fortress
15. Model 500 – Starlight
16. JOAAN – Nocturnality
17. F – Mind The Gap
Expect the usual dose of deep dubstep vibes, including lots of unreleased music from 7even Recordings. Here’s a direct link to the MP3 file.
Being a huge fan of Nico, I’ll alway stick to the VU version of this song, but I have to say Aloe Blacc‘s version isn’t bad either. Here is the official video, directed by Alan Algee for What Matters Most.
Aloe’s new album Good Things is available now and he’s currently on tour through Europe. You might also want to check out this interview for Centric TV.
(via Apple Juice Break)
At one point it seemed a bit like routine to run into a mixtape by SBTRKT, but as of lately it was rather calm. Luckily, the masked producer is back with a new guestmix for MistaJam‘s programme on 1xtra.
01. Jessie Ware & SBTRKT – Nervous
02. SBTRKT – Deep Sea Creature
03. Benga – I Come From London
04. Humanleft – Arnaud & Bernard
05. Cosmin TRG – Liebesunde
06. Mr De – Whoneleeone
07. Seiji – The King
08. Headhunter – Prototype (Modeselektor Remix)
09. Terror Danjah – Power Grid
10. Pearson Sound – Wad
11. Mount Kimbie – Carbonated
12. Girl Unit – IRL
13. SBTRKT – Fright
14. Greenmoney – Suh Mi Stay (Karizma Remix)
15. Altered Natives – Restless Natives
16. Joe – Claptrap
17. Distal – Tortellis Slave
18. Boy 8 Bit – The Keep
19. SBTRKT – Step In Shadows
SBTRKT has some new music lined up on Numbers, Young Turks and Modeselektor’s Monkey Town imprint, some of it is featured on this mix. So without any further ado, here’s the download link!
The folks at SoundCloud figured I’m using their player widgets quite frequently and asked me what that’s all about. So, for their very first Blog of the Week feature they did a little interview with me. Feels a bit awkward to be asked questions for a change, I guess I feel more comfortable being the interviewer myself. But of course I’m also very proud to be part of this, so my thanks go to Michelle and the entire SoundCloud team!
Send me your track
And while we’re at it, you can always send me your music to my DropBox (click above). I am perfectly aware that I should integrate it better into the site, as it’s actually the prefered way to send me new tunes. Working on it!
The song is just an interlude (produced by MDNSNG) taken from Suzi Analogue‘s new album NNXTAPE. Despite running for only a minute, I think the video deserves a feature.
You can download the digital release for free or support it by buying a copy on cassette. In both cases, head over to Suzi’s Bandcamp page!
As you know by now, Gonjasufi’s remix album A Caliph’s Tea Party will be in stores next week and you probably heard some of its tracks yet.
Apart from that album, there is also a contest going on, you can listen to some first results below.
If you’re more interested in remixing yourself, head over to Gonja’s site and download the accapellas for “Love of Reign” or “Candylane”, both taken from A Sufi And A Killer. Results must be in by November 1st, the winner will receive a one-of-a-kind art print signed by Gonjasufi.
Everybody else support your favourite remix and vote for it!
Following his 2009 album Cambio Wechsel, London’s Kelpe is set to return with a 4-track EP on Team Acre. Below you can listen to its title track “Margins”, which is also my favourite on the release.
I love how music and video compliment each other, which is probably because Kelpe filmed the footage himself on a trip to Nevada and California. The music will be available digitally on October 4th, the vinyl will follow a week later!
As mentioned, the mighty Kaidi Tatham has finally joined SoundCloud and uploaded some sketches for new songs. One of the more interesting ones can be listened to below.
While Kaidi is known to be a busy cat, we don’t want to forget the long overdue Blakai album and the six years between his last solo albums, Feed the Cat and In Search for Hope. So, if this ever gets released (and I wouldn’t count on that!), it will probably take years.
Anyway, make sure to check out his other uploads as well!
Earlier this year, Sotu the Traveller released an album called Left. While I count it to the biggest surprises of the year, it’s a shamefully overlooked album (and unfortunately I wasn’t much of a help!) For Dutch magazine Streetrockaz he has put together a mix that’s just as good as the tracklist promises.
01. Prefuse 73 – Speeds of God 2000
02. Numaads – Now
03. Lorn – What’s the use
04. Tokimonsta – Aching noodles
05. Onra – Lying besides you
06. Kan Sano – Rec gain up
07. MonoPoly – Analysis (DNA)
08. Erykah Badu – The healer
09. MonoPoly – The system crumbles
10. Dabrye – Game over (Flying Lotus remix)
11. Sotu the Traveller – HourGlass (Portformat remix)
12. Mike Slott – Home
13. Onra – Moving
14. Favorite Flava – Favorite Flava
15. Take – Don’t look now
16. Darkhouse Family – Stay blazed
17. Nosaj Thing – Fog
18. Julien Dyne – Fallin down (ft. Parks)
19. Daisuke Tanabe – Deer Drop Forest
20. Take – Neon beams
22. Dyno – Fuh Real (ft. Naboobia)
23. Joya Mooi – When I take a step back
24. Platinum Pied Pipers – The ghost of Aveiro (ft. Coultrain)
25. Flying Lotus – Parisian Goldfish
26. Aïscha & Sotu the Traveller – What’s going on?
27. James Pants – I choose you
28. Sotu the Traveller – Verbs
If you’re fluent in Dutch, check the interview with Sotu. You can also download the mix for a limited time. If my translation is correct, you can also expect that mix to be out on CD.
If you think that Jneiro Jarel‘s last EP on Alpha Pup was a bit of a letdown, his return to the Dutch Kindred Spirits label is probably just what you were waiting for.
Fauna is not only inspired by Brazilian music, it’s a dedication to the country’s wildlife and reminder of its endangerment. Digging through KC tha Funkaholic‘s record collection, Jneiro found his sources to sample from and discovered artists from Arthur Verocai to Zuco 103. Underneath he put dubby synths and panned around beats, on top he put a layer of sounds from the rainforests and its tropical beats.01. Voice Of The Kayapo
02. Castaju Cajunea
04. Rio De Jneiro (Jarumba)
05. Bird Charm
06. Wave Trip
08. Indigo Eden
10. Can You Compute Bruuhzeel
11. Monkey Hustle (Man On Fire)
12. See Them Cry (Painted Tears)
You can already get Fauna on LP, a CD is set to follow soon. For a real bargain, check out the special packages including a poster and the previously released 7-inch. Again, this is available with LP or CD option.
We had a free compilation yesterday, today we’ll already give you another. This time it’s our favourite Serbian label Svetlana Industries providing a fine portfolio of their label roster.
As to be expected, the compilation features lots of talent from East European countries, such as Bulgaria’s 1000names, Croatia’s Josip Klobučar, Slovenian-born 8Bitch, Serbia’s Filtercutter or Russian duo Demokracy. Also included is music from Brainfeeder’s Teebs and plenty of other names I’m eager to discover.01. Demokracy – Starhaven
02. Prohor – Eye 1
03. Parallel Concept & KOCMOC – 5th Titan
04. Prohor – Eye 2
05. 1000names – Roket Loop ’94
06. Prohor – Eyebrow Divide
07. 8Bitch – In The Moog For Love
08. Prohor – Nose
09. Antstar – Thing Ten
10. Polyklinik – Blurred Photographs
11. Prohor – Mouth
12. Filtercutter – Den Piece
13. Prohor – Chin
14. Piece of Shh… – Desert Island
15. Prohor – Underchin
16. Jackhigh – Turbines
17. Josip Klobučar – Two and a half spoons of sugar please
18. Prohor – The Long and Slender Neck
19. Teebs – Everyone Alive Wants Answers
You can download all this for free over at BandCamp – starting tomorrow.
As this is a gapless release, Svetlana advises getting the iTunes version for full listening pleasure!
Following the release of their album Crooks & Lovers, Hotflush’s Mount Kimbie are currently touring North America and will soon continue to do so in the UK and the rest of Europe. This week they’re also gracing XLR8R with this guestmix.
01. System – All
02. xxxy – This Much
03. Mount Kimbie – Carbonated
04. Pangaea – Dead Living
05. Zomby – Test Me for a Reason
06. Kode9 – You Don’t Wash (Martyn Remix)
07. Dam-Funk – How It Be Between U and Me
08. El Fog – El Cloud
09. Klaus – Tusk
10. Scuba – Hard Boiled (SCB Edit)
11. Senking – Tar
12. Blawan – Fram
13. Untold – Anaconda (Tribal Guarachero Mix)
14. Klaus – Neph
15. Unknown – Unknown
16. James Blake – Klavierwerke
17. Arkist – Only If You Mean It
Head over to the XLR8R website and choose your prefered download format.
The second of Vienna’s RUN VIE festival will be taking place in the first week of October around various clubs through-out the city. Among the line-up are artists such as Derrick May, Aloe Blacc, Dorian Concept, fLako, Robot Koch, Free The Robots, Swede:art, The Clonious and many others.
On the occasion, Carhartt presents a free compilation of 16 tracks, most of the the music coming from artists appearing at the festival.01. JR&PH7 – Fast Lane Speedin’ feat. Oddisee (Philta’s Reboogie)
02. Swede:art – Snapshots On A Sunday Night
03. Marvwon & Brenk – Mill Ticket
04. JR&PH7 – Let’s Move feat. Skyzoo (The Clonious Remix)
05. Free The Robots – Orion’s Belt Buckle
06. Suff Daddy feat. Miles Bonny – 5 o’Clock
07. Aloe Blacc – I’m beautiful
08. Yosaku feat. Bobbito – Malembe (7″ Edit)
09. fLako – What’s That Calling Me
10. 1000 NAMES – Yellow First Stranger
11. JR&PH7 – Take It To The Streets feat. Planet Asia & Rakaa Iriscience (Kalifornia Kurt Remix)
12. Robot Koch – Night On Mars
13. JR&PH7 – Zone To Da Nightlife feat. Median (Philta’s Twilight Mix)
14. Elektro Guzzi – Moskito Draft
15. JR&PH7 – Dreams feat. Kaze & Edgar Allen Floe (Waxolutionists Remix)
16. Dorian Concept – Slyme End
If you’re in or around Vienna, make sure to grab your ticket for the whole seven days or the individual nights. Everybody else, go ahead and download this fine compilation.